At the end of 2021 we weren’t sure if there was even going to be a COSine 2022, much less a COSine 2023. For those who don’t know, on December 30th, 2021 the Hotel Eleganté was purchased and decided to no longer hold conventions!
Fortunately, after a bit of bargaining, COSine 2022 went ahead and overall went really well (at least according to the feedback we’ve received :-).
So, we started our hunt for a new home, (a ragtag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest for a decent catering contract). For whatever reason, there just isn’t a lot of convention space in Colorado Springs that can hold an event like ours, and our attempts to build our own giant pyramid-shaped convention center on the median of I-25 was stymied by the highway patrol. But did we give up? Yes! No!
We are pleased to announce that COSine 2023 will be held on January 20-22, 2023 at The Embassy Suites by Hilton (Woodmen and I-25)!
Even better, here is our guest lineup:
- Martha Wells – Our author GoH and NY Times bestselling author of The Murderbot Diaries, The Books of the Raksura, and many others.
- Drs. Louise & James Gunderson – Our science GoHs, experts in robotics & artificial Intelligence (Yes, we will be asking them to help us build a Murderbot during the convention).
- Kyle Crutcher – Our Artist GoH, creator of the COSine rocket, and Ambassador to the Monoptozoids.
- Connie Willis – Sci-Fi Grand Master and friend of the convention.
- Courtney Willis – Dr. Science himself!
The Embassy Suites is a beautiful hotel (they have waterfalls in their lobby), but the event space is quite a bit more expensive than our previous digs. We are a non-profit and our goal is to just break even, but to have a hope of doing that we will sadly have to increase some prices after many years. In general, we will be adding $10 to the main types of memberships.
But here’s some more good news—since you were smart enough to read this far in the email…
Normally, the best possible price for a membership is at the previous convention, but since we didn’t know for sure that there would be a next con, we didn’t sell 2023 memberships. To make up for it, we are offering the 2022 pre-registration prices through the end of March 2022. That’s $40 for adults and $30 for students. You can register for COSine 2023 here.
The New Hotel
The Embassy Suites by Hilton Colorado Springs is just north of Woodmen, near I-25. For our friends from Denver, that means that you have about eleven miles less to travel (and for our southern friends—you’ve already come so far, what’s another eleven miles?).
The COSine rate for the convention is $119/night which includes:
- An actual suite – all of the rooms at the Embassy Suite are, well, suites, with a separate bedroom and lounge.
- Complimentary made-to-order hot breakfast
- Complimentary drinks and snacks every night (6-7pm)
- Free Wi-Fi in guest rooms (usually $9.95/day)
There is no COSine online registration page for hotel rooms, so you will need to call them at 719-599-9100 and tell them you are with COSine to get the special rate (only guaranteed through Dec 20, 2022). Ask for accessible rooms or pet-friendly rooms.
The hotel has an on-site restaurant (not something we take for granted now :-), and indoor pool and fitness center. It is also within walking distance of several other restaurants.
We hope to see you soon,
Morland, Arlen, Karen, Eli, Richard
The COSine Con Com